Inpatient Admission Criteria
Our Approach to Care
We pride ourselves on delivering beyond-medicine care that addresses the total well-being of the child and promotes the family’s peace of mind. The patient and family are at the center of an interdisciplinary team that develops a care plan to manage and monitor care against short and long-term objectives.
- For more information about Inpatient Care.
Admission Criteria for Inpatient Care
- Discharge planning: caregiver training, home nursing arrangements, DSCC waiver process
- Tracheostomy management
- Chronic ventilation: vent weaning, acute respiratory issues, airway management
- Gastrostomy tubes and short gut syndrome: feeding assessments, TPN, NG tubes, G-tube training
- Transitioning from the NICU: children needing more physical and nutritional stability, chronic lung disease, developmental therapy, multiple births with disability
Children Who Are Dependent on Technology or Need Transitional Care
- Post surgical: post orthopedic surgery or neurosurgery
- Burn/wound: burns, decubitus ulcers, animal bites, other skin care issues
- Acquired brain injury: intensive rehab, narcotic wean
- Other: recent stroke, brain tumor, myelomeningocele, general deconditioning, multiple fractures
Note: We are unable to care for new spinal cord injuries.
Children with Acute Exacerbations of Chronic Illnesses
- Asthma/RAD/wheezing: must be able to tolerate q2 hour neb treatments, monitoring
- Sickle cell disease: IV antibiotics, rule out sepsis, PCA pumps
- Non-DKA diabetes: diabetes teaching, discharge planning
- Seizure disorders
- Long-term IV-antibiotic administration: IV therapy through central line or PICC line
- Nutritional management: failure-to-thrive, malnutrition, obesity-related medical condition
Note: We do not admit patients who require an insulin drip or continuous nebs, or those who need exchange transfusion.
Consultation Services for Inpatient Care
- Behavioral and Mental Health
- Developmental Pediatrics
- Infant Development
- Medical Equipment Services Clinic
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Speech Pathology